EDIT: HOW ABOUT UPGRADING TO 4.0 (CyanogenMod 9) ?
I thought it would be useful to share this info, if you have a phone Galaxy 5/Galaxy 550/GT-I5500/Europa Galaxy or whatever you call it. The method was tested on several terminals and works without any problems. We observed significant performance boost, in some cases beating a Galaxy S, and that without overclocking the processor.
Note that if the phone will break for various reasons and the firmware is still installed, guarantee is lost as a result of these changes. But in most cases you can return to official firmware that came with the phone. The firmware comes with Root, superuser and BusyBox installed, and is based on Android 2.3.7, the latest version of Android Gingerbread. Different versions of the firmware have been run stable on my phone for about 2 months. Note that it is more stable than stock firmware!
To streamline the process of upgrading the firmware, instead of uploading individual files I chose to put them all in one archive on RapidShare, which offers a much higher transfer rate.
Follow this link to download files:
Once you have downloaded the file, use WinRAR ( winRAR ) to unpack it.
We should have a folder that includes the following files:
After we made sure we have all the files needed to continue, before the writing of the firmware we need to install the USB drivers for Samsung mobile phone, that if we don't have installed Kies.
Drivers as standalone package can be found here: drivers .
If the installation went smoothly, we finally get to install the firmware on the phone.
We need original Samsung USB cable (preferably, but should work without problems using a new cable).
My request is to follow these steps in the order they appear here, or you can meet with some problems.
1. Backup data you consider important, no one will take responsibility for lost data! Speaking of contacts, simply export the SD card, then copy them into the computer later. For others: photos, videos, etc. I suspect that you have already guessed, like, copy them into the computer. Although small chances, the processes for firmware upgrade can result in an unexpected way.
2. Turn off the phone after you enter the download mode. To do this it is necessary to hold simultaneously the volume down key and the center button(center of the joystick) and the power button).
3. Connect the phone to the PC via the USB cable. If your phone has not been connected until now in download mode, down in the Windows notification area there will be displayed a balloon telling you that new hardware is being installed. Wait until the process is completed, then open "Odin Multi Downloader v4.28" included in the archive provided by me.
4. First we rewrite the baseband phone with one that is "certified" to be fully compatible with Cyanogen Mod. Version is included and recommended by me "I5500XWJP4". From Odin, we click on the OPS file and select "EUROPA_I5508_v1.0.ops". Select the option one package, then we click on the tab with the same name under "Select Integrated Package - Check One Option Package" and select file "MODEM_I5500XWJP4.tar.md5", followed by a click on "Start". Wait until the process is completed, the phone should restart and boot into the OS.
5. Turn off the phone again, enter download mode again, only this time instead of "MODEM_I5500XWJP4.tar.md5", we select "ClockworkMod-Galaxy5-v0.7", followed as before by the "Start ".
6. After completing the phone will automatically install the Recovery ClockWorkMod. Navigating through the menus is done with keys up / down and selecting with the middle button. The first thing you need to do is to select "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", navigate to the Yes (like you have to do for each action of CWM).
7. Now we move on to installing packages. Go to "Mount and storage", then "Mount USB Storage". Copy files "update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-galaxy5-v1.9-MADTEAM-signed", "Galaxy5-v1.9-hotfix3", "gapps-gb-20110828-signed", "TouchWiz_3.0_Port_v0.7 "removable disk (SD card of the phone) again appeared in My Computer. We expect to complete the process successfully and give "Unmount USB Storage" in the CWM phone. Back to main menu using the key back. Navigate to the "Install zip from SD card" -> "Chose zip from SD card". Select "update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-galaxy5-v1.9-MADTEAM-signed", followed by Yes.
8. Now we install the hotfix, just like the previous step, only this time select, after the "Chose zip from SD card" select file "Galaxy5-v1.9-hotfix3", followed by Yes.
9. The last step required, that if you want to use the Android Market, and you want this more than sure, this is installing applications including Google. Mentioned is that applications like YouTube, Maps, etc.. can easily install from the Android Market. As far as the "Chose zip from SD card", this time select "gapps-gb-20110828-signed", followed by Yes.
10. Installation TouchWiz 3.0 (or the GUI Launcher, which is included in the Samsung's firmware). Not different, as "Chose zip from SD card", choose "TouchWiz_3.0_Port_v0.7", and finally Yes.
11. Give "Reboot System" from the main menu and wait for phone to boot. The first time it takes longer, since we need to index new files, so there should be no concern. Follow the instructions on the screen, everything should go smoothly. If you have installed and TouchWiz, at some point you will be prompted to start the Launcher. You can check that the option selected by default start with the phone. If at any time you want to get rid of one of them you can do this using Titanium Backup that you find on the Market.
This version does not require battery recalibration, because with the introduction of version 1.9 of this port driver returned to the battery of your original firmware. This version of firmware with all the hotfixes included was extensively tested by me all day and I can say that with the new version was going to respond much better if the phone orders and animations are included purely ICS and simply adorable! I hope I managed somehow to help users without technical knowledge too advanced or do not want to fight too much. I'll answer any questions as long as they are in connection with this firmware and / or telephone. All the best!
If this post helped you in any way don't be shay and treat me to a bear, what do you say?