Now you can mod a PS3 without those special sticks. Mod-ing is done with a soft via CFW, that means you don't lose the guarantee. It should be noted that you will lose access to PSN. Attention mod-ing process involves many risks (in the sense that if you do it wrong you might have problems), if you don't have some experience or are unsure better to go to someone who is specialized. For those who are not afraid, not shaking hands on the controller and have some experience here you have a tutorial on how you can mod the console without any problem.
First you need firmware version 3.55. Make updates to this version, if there will be requests a tutorial will be made for this. There has long been some CFW's of some hackers. You must delete these CFW's by Recovery Mode. You need the original firmware 3.55 from Sony (get it here) and put the console into Recovery Mode. Make Restore PS3 System and you will install the original firmware 3.55.
Once you have the original Sony 3.55 firmware we can get to work. Let's start.
- You need a USB stick or an external hard drive formatted (using this tutorial) in FAT32 format
- Download PS3UPDAT.PUP from here (beware, this file is already patched to version CFW kmeaw, it's not an original Sony firmware)
- Connect the USB stick or portable hard drive to the computer and create a folder PS3 and inside another folder UPDATE (in capitals!!!)
- Copy the files downloaded at point 2 in the UPDATE folder that you just created
- Enter console in Recovery Mode. When the console is in Recovery Mode select the System Update option, connect the stick with the files you downloaded in step 2 in the console and the console will switch to CFW 3.55 kmeaw (most stable at the moment) after following instructions on the screen (you must accept ToS and confirm installation)
- When everything is over your console is modded. Instal your managers (I recommend multiMAN or Gaia - latest version - Multimania here and Gaia here) and BDEMU2 here
- You can copy the games on a external hdd from Windows or transfer it to the PS via network
- If you have problems with playing games, boot the game from multiMAN with Select + X, select Fix Permissions, install and run lv2patcher and select the option SysCall , install Fix Permissions and run the small program that sets chmod 0777 programel to every file / folder on the system and fixes permissions / attributes of those files
- If you want to play FullHD movies (and not only) on your console I recomand using Showtime, and as an alternative have PS3 Media Server